Possession of Marijuana
Cannabis is illegal in Texas. It shouldn’t be. Although public sentiment about marijuana is relaxing nationwide, the laws in Texas remain the same and the penalties continue to be severe.
How Severe are the Penalties for Marijuana Possession?
In Texas, general sentencing guidelines are based on weight.
- Possession 2oz or less: Class B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 180 days in jail
- Possession 2 – 4oz: Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $4,000 and/or less than one year in jail
- Possession 4oz – 5 pounds: State jail felony punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and a jail sentence of 180 days to 2 years
- Possession 5 – 50 pounds: Third-degree felony punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and a prison sentence of 2 to 10 years
- Possession 50 – 2,000 pounds: Second-degree felony punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and a prison sentence of 2 to 20 years
- Possession over 2,000 pounds: First-degree felony punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and a prison sentence of 5 to 99 years
Civil Consequences of Marijuana Conviction
A conviction for simple possession can prevent you from obtaining or renewing your driver’s license. It can also affect your ability to obtain student loans or federal assistance.
I hired Mr. Trey Porter after getting a D.U.I. Was very much scared because I am a nurse and thought I would lose my livelihood. Mr Porter was reassuring and kind. He was also very confident.
Stephen, October 2017
Mr Porter was recommended to me by a coworker. He helped her out of a DWI 3 years ago, and he did the same for me.
Sammy, September 2017
Mr. Porter is very professional, he works diligently, efficiently, is in constant contact, and prompt!!! The key ingredients for a great lawyer.
Sheila Torres, July 2018
Trey is one of the best in the business. I was in complete shock of the outcome for the case, the best scenario was achieved in a not so great situation. Would absolutely recommend to everyone.
Stacey Reyes, November 2018
Trey is a phenomenal attorney that gets the job done right! He is dedicated to helping his clients. He made himself available and answered all my concerns immediately!
Bindia, March 2018